Monday, June 27, 2011

beet and buttermilk soup

Yup, another absolute must! Again, from my darling friend, Barb!
So, again, easy, smeasy, I promise, if you don't believe me you know I WILL come to your home to show you just how easy it is, that's my job ( giant smile) after all!

4 C chopped cooked beets
1C unsweetened apple juice
2 C buttermilk
1 Tbls fresh dill (I use more)
1/4 C minced scallions or chives, I loved chives, just a bit more subtle.
salt to taste
finely chopped cucumber ( I love the english cukes)

In a blender or food processor, combine the beets, apple juice, and buttermilk and puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in dill and chives. Refriderate for at least 2 hours. Add salt to taste and serve topped with finely chopped cucumber. I used a small dollop of creme fraiche or greek yogurt. Sooooo good! Clean and fresh. The color is spectacular!

~ Two 15 ounce cans of whole beets, drained and coarsely chopped , are fine in this recipe. If you are using fresh beets, 4 or 5 medium beets ( about 1 1/2 lbs) is the right amount. Trim the leaf stems to about an inch and simmer the beets in water to cover for about 40 min, until easily pierced with a knife. Drain the beets and rinse them with cold water. When cooled, squeeze them with your hands and skins will slide of easily. Cut stem off and chop.

Those of you that know me, know I am a food snob and proud of it, but when push comes to shove, opening a can of beets is fine by me!!!!! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment